Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Spike on Steak


There's a seasoning blend called "Spike" that one of my fellow personal chefs from another part of the country is always raving about, so when I finally found it in one of our local grocery stores the other day I picked up a jar. (If you can't find it where you live, you can order it from the manufacturer's website.)
Last night I sprinkled it on a couple of strip steaks and vacuum sealed them using my new Foodsaver and then marinated them at room temperature for 30 minutes. I heated the grill to screaming hot to char the steaks on the outside (that gives them great flavor even if there's no seasoning on them) and cooked them till they were our preferred warm red in the center.
Sorry I didn't get a picture of the steaks to show you, but we just couldn't wait to dig into them. The salty, spicy, herb blend gave them the flavors of the finest restaurant steak, and my husband (a connoisseur of steaks, restaurant and otherwise), exclaimed that this was one of the best steaks he'd ever had! This spice blend is definitely a keeper!

No comments: