I hope you will try this quick and easy yet elegant recipe that will make three appetizer portions or 2 main dish servings. Invite your friends and share this budget-friendly dish at your own table!
Shrimp or Chicken Lollipops
For the marinade & glaze:
1 (12-oz.) can mango nectar (find on Latin food aisle)
1/4 c. dark rum
1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
1 small dried cayenne pepper pod, broken in half
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/8 tsp. dried ground allspice
1/8 tsp. dried ground corriander
Ice & cold water
- Combine mango nectar, dark rum, garlic and cayenne pepper pod in small saucepan. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to maintain a rapid simmer for 5 minutes. Strain to remove garlic and pepper and return nectar to pan. Add lime juice and spices and bring to a boil. Lower heat to maintain a rapid simmer and reduce liquid to 1/2 c. (Pour into glass measuring cup to check.) Remove from heat.
- Combine ice and water in a bowl and submerge bottom of saucepan in icewater. Stir glaze frequently until cool.
For Shrimp or Chicken:
6 tiger or other extra-jumbo shrimp, or six chicken tenders
6 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 15 minutes
Cooled mango glaze
- Peel and devein shrimp but leave tail intact; remove tendon from chicken tender.
- Place in zippy bag with marinade; squeeze out air and marinate in bag in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Heat gas or charcoal grill to high, or heat broiler to high heat.
- Drain marinade, place it back in small pan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Drain skewers and spray sharp ends with vegetable oil spray.
- Run skewer from head end straight through till point is in tail; run skewer lenthwise through chicken tenders.
- Reduce heat on gas grill to medium high on one side and turn off burner on other side. Arrange shrimp on grill with the shrimp over the direct flame and the skewers over the burner that is not on. If using charcoal, wrap the skewers with foil. If broiling, arrange so the skewer ends stick out the opening of the door and are not under direct heat or flame. You don't want to use metal skewers; who ever heard of a metal popsicle stick?
- Grill or broil shrimp or chicken, basting frequently with glaze, until firm, opaque, and cooked through. Time will vary depending on size of shrimp/chicken and your grill temperature.
- Serve on bed of Summer Rice & Mango Salad.
Summer Rice & Mango Salad
1 c. dry converted rice (I use Uncle Ben's), cooked according to package directions with 1 tsp. coarse salt*
2 tsp. finely minced garlic
1 T. finely minced seeded jalapeno pepper
1 T. olive oil
1 c. frozen English peas, thawed
1 mango, peeled, seeded, and diced into pieces the same size as the peas
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, loosely chopped
3 scallions, green tops only, thinly sliced
- In large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and jalapeno pepper and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add English peas and saute for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add all of the rice and stir to combine. Remove from heat. Salad should not be hot.
- Stir remaining ingredients into rice.
- Serve at room temperature
*Time saving hint: Cook rice when you have time, put in zippy bag and refrigerate or freeze to make your meal preparation a cinch!