Friday, July 18, 2008

Foodsaver Frenzy

I called one of my foodie friends this afternoon on my way home from Wal-Mart, where I'd just purchased a new Foodsaver appliance and I didn't realize how excited I was until I stopped to take a breath and she said, "Geeee....It sure is easy to make us happy!" It sure is...give me a kitchen gadget or appliance or a new pan or cookbook and it's like a shot of adrenaline!

Back in the late 70s I bought a Daisy Seal-a-Meal to use to freeze leftovers and fruits and veggies and I've been hooked every since. I wore that one out and then they were out of favor and you couldn't find bags anywhere. Then came the Foodsaver Vacuum Sealer....I guess in the mid 90s and, once again, my pulse was rat-a-tatting as I drove home from Wal-Mart with it.

Problems arose, though, because it was impossible to control the vacuum, so that limited its use to dry non-smushable foods. Then there came a model with manual controls, but it was big and cumbersome, and I waited for something smaller that I can carry with me on cookdays.

Finally, I have just what I was looking for, with features like moisture sensor, an anti-"smush" setting, and it is compact and less than $100!

I'd write more, but I'm going to go play with my new gadget. Have a great weekend!

Bon Appetit!
Chef Debbie

No comments: