Thursday, February 28, 2008

My 20 seconds of fame!

I'm going to be on the radio tomorrow morning! I'm nervous, but what damage can I do in 20 seconds? LOTS....I'm someone who has been known to have to extricate foot from mouth on more than one occasion...and it hasn't taken a whole 20 seconds for me to get into that situation!

The good news is that Charles Jenkin of WBT Radio in Charlotte has asked me to bring something yummy for the staff to eat and NOW I'm in my realm and know that they will love having El Zorro's Chicken Enchiladas....even at 8:00 in the morning. (El Zorro, by the way, is Spanish for "Fox," ...and since I'm "The Hungry Fox" that seems like a fitting name for my enchiladas.) I might just whip up an extra batch for Bob & Sheri next door on The Link. I've been listening to them for years and they are always hungry in the morning.

Throw this dish together in a jiffy for a family dinner (kids just LOVE this), but it is so delicious you may want to serve it to special dinner guests! What about March Madness and those hungry basketball fans? Make this ahead of time and pop it in the oven when the guys come over to watch the game and you'll have a great snack by the time the first quarter is over!

Here you go, and don't forget to email me if you have any questions. Let me know if you try it!

El Zorro’s Chicken Enchiladas

Makes 10 enchiladas

½ c. chopped onion
4 T. butter, salted
¼ c. flour
2 c. reduced sodium chicken broth
1 tsp. granulated instant chicken bouillon
1 (8-oz.) carton reduced fat sour cream, room temperature
3 c. chicken breast meat, cooked and shredded (you can use plain rotisserie chicken, too!)
2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded (may use reduced fat cheese)
1 (4-oz.) can chopped green chiles
1 tsp. chili powder, (the American kind with seasonings in)
10 flour tortillas (use colored for variety if you like; i.e. spinach, sun-dried tomato, etc.)

In a saucepan, sauté onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, chicken broth and bouillon. Cook until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.

In a large bowl combine 1 cup cooked sauce, all the chicken, 1 cup cheese, chiles and chili powder. Mix well.

Fill each tortilla with equal portions of chicken mixture. Roll up and arrange in 9x13 inch pan sprayed with non-stick spray. Spoon remaining sauce over tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and filling is hot (it will take longer if you've made this ahead and stored it in the fridge). Serve with homemade pico de gallo or your favorite jarred salsa .

2 comments:

Yummy~issimo! said...

There is no doubt that you were absolutely brilliant! I lift my glass to the start of your new radio career :)
Debbie

Chef Debbie said...

Not sure if I need ANOTHER career, but it sure was a fun experience! I'll be back on a 2:00 on March 29th. :-)