Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Budget-Saving Recipe for Easy Salmon Salad

I've never been wild about salmon salad because I am just not wild about fishy tasting cold food. (Well, I do love tuna salad, so I guess that is the exception.)

I roasted some salmon fillets for supper the other night and, as I usually always do with meats, poultry, and seafood, I throw in some extra servings for quick meals in the days to come. I had one 6-oz. serving of salmon left over and created a great salad that I just loved because the taste of the salmon was offset by the briny olives and capers. Lots of freshness, too, with the vegetables, and that final shot of lemon juice just took it over the top!

A bonus to this salad is that you can stretch a 6-oz. piece of cooked salmon to feed 4 people generous servings. So, the next time you cook salmon fillets, make an extra serving to use for this delicious salad for lunch or dinner the next day.


Easy Salmon Salad

Serves 4

6 oz. cooked salmon, skin and bones removed and flaked into bite-size pieces
1/2 lb. grape tomatoes, halved
1 1/2 c. celery, sliced
4 hard boiled eggs, peeled, quartered and sliced cross-wise
1 tablespoon rinsed and drained capers
1/4 - 1/2 c. sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives
Olive juice to taste
Good quality mayonnaise to taste
Juice of one lemon
Salt & Pepper to taste
Leaf lettuce

Combine all ingredients except salmon and lettuce in large bowl. Stir to combine. Taste for seasoning and add salt, pepper, and olive oil and lemon juice until it's perfect for your taste. Gently fold in salmon just until incoporated, keeping chunks of fish intact. Chill well.

Serve cold on a bed of lettuce with lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!

Bon Appétit!
Chef Debbie

No comments: