We are already filling in our calendar with all the parties that are coming up, and we're also dreading the extra pounds the holidays bring. Planning ahead (for me) is the key. Setting limits once I get there doesn't work at all. I love the wine and the food and so I think that my game plan this year will be to eat before I go to each party. Party foods tend to be very high in calories, so I'll fill up on a healthy meal first, then it won't be so difficult to stay away from the party fixins', or just try a single bite here and there.
Do you have a game plan that has worked for you in the past? If not, maybe you'll find a tip here that will work for you!
- Eat before you go. This was by far the most popular tip, and probably the most useful. Fill up on healthy foods at home.
- Place limits. Try a 2 plate limit, and a 2 drink limit.
- Plan ahead. Find out the menu ahead of time and make healthy choices, before you go.
- Drink lots of water and eat fruits and veggies. You can eat as many veggies as you want without consuming many calories. Just avoid dipping sauces and dressings.
- Have a big salad before the main course. Again, avoid too much dressing, and go for the lighter dressings.
- Log what you eat, so you’ll be more aware of it.
- Avoid alcohol. It’s just empty calories. You can have fun without alcohol — I do it all the time.
- Bring your own. If it’s a potluck-style gathering, cook something healthy and bring it with you.
- Just try to eat healthy most of the week, and relax when you are at social gatherings. This is one of my favorite tips. :) You don’t need to eat healthy all the time. This is the tip I usually follow, but you’ve got to come up with other strategies when you’re going to social gatherings almost every night of the week.